Corporate Accountant – Ridgeland, MS
EastGroup Properties has an opportunity for a Corporate Accountant in our corporate office. This position will manage a set of accounting activities to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, corporate policies, and external audits. The Corporate Accountant will also assist with the accounts payable function, monthly closing of accounts and preparation of reports in support of the financial statements.
Summary of Job Duties
- Review vendor invoices and associated disbursements; help manage Accounts Payable entries.
- Performs ACH and wire transfers for corporate accounting needs.
- Assist in daily and monthly accounting procedures as assigned by the Controller.
- Work with the Corporate Accounting team on detailed financial analysis and feedback of financial statement variances to budget.
- Assist the Controller in developing quarterly budgets.
- Assist in preparing quarterly and year-end close of financial reporting, ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, including accurate journal entries to record activity, maintaining the general ledger, and reconciling account balances.
- Help with debt management, including monitoring, reviewing, and paying principal and interest invoices.
- Assist with review of tenant accounts receivable ledgers for potential bad debt reserves.
- Prepare supporting schedules for press releases, 8-K filings, 10-Q filings, and 10-K.
- Help as a liaison to external auditors by explaining journal entries and financial transactions, and answering questions necessary to complete the audit in a timely manner.
- Complete various financial, accounting, administrative, and other reports and analysis, and perform other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required.
- CPA designation or preparing to sit for the exam.
- A minimum of 1-2 years’ relevant work experience is required; preference will be given to candidates with real estate and/or public accounting experience.
- Experience with Yardi or similar real estate accounting systems is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Clear understanding of GAAP and lease accounting.
- Must be organized, detailed, flexible, efficient and take ownership of own work product.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
EastGroup Properties recognizes the value of benefits to employees and their families. The Company aims to support our employees and their families by offering a comprehensive and competitive benefits program. For all full-time employees, EastGroup covers the cost of employee only medical insurance at 100% of the cost. Dependents can be added at the employee’s expense. Additionally, EastGroup provides group term life insurance, short term and long term disability coverage for employees at no cost. Dental, vision, FSA and other supplemental insurance options are also available to employees.
EastGroup also recognizes the importance of saving for retirement and offers a 401(k) retirement savings plan with an employer match of 50% up to 10% of compensation. The company also provides a discretionary 401(k) bonus in addition to the employer match.
Other employee benefits include paid time off, athletic club reimbursements, cell phone reimbursement, community service opportunities, and flexible work schedules.