Director of Corporate Sustainability – Ridgeland, MS
The Director of Corporate Sustainability will help develop, communicate, and implement the overall sustainability strategy for EastGroup Properties. This will include programs and initiatives surrounding environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) best practices at a corporate and regional level. This position will also provide an annual report and supplemental reporting for investors and regulatory agencies as needed.
Summary of Job Duties
- Facilitate the process to collect, analyze, and report on ESG data by implementing a third-party software platform for tracking this data
- Develop, coach and mentor the organization about existing and new ESG-related reporting requirements with the potential to impact the company, and anticipate and research corporate sustainability trends
- Collaborate with internal teams and facilitate annual sustainability report development
- Prepare time sensitive ESG disclosures for investor presentations, proxy statements, 10-K, annual report and other SEC filings
- Perform annual gap analysis of reporting, business processes, and engagement to identify gaps and opportunities
- Support incorporation of sustainability considerations into the wider business strategy to drive innovation via collaboration, scenario planning and robust prioritization of risk and opportunity
- Assist in creating measurable, impactful, companywide ESG goals to communicate to management with an execution roadmap
- Competitive research and analysis of cross-industry ESG leaders to determine best practices and propose internal business cases for adoption; interact with peer ESG representatives and attend ESG training conferences
- Educate internal and external stakeholders on purpose, mission, and value of ESG in business; ensuring ratings agencies (ISS, MSCI, Sustanalytics, Green Street) have the most updated information on EastGroup’s ESG strategy to improve scores
- Document case studies at properties for projects relating to ESG programs and initiatives such as solar panel installations, wildlife mitigation, employee training, etc.
- Collaborate with the construction and development departments to propose ways to reduce the environmental impact within the company
- Evaluate and select software to assist in tracking utility usage at properties; educate and engage customers to encourage participation in utility reporting
- Work with Human Resources and other internal departments to create diversity programs and goals, as well as enhancing community outreach opportunities for all EastGroup employees
- Review corporate governance guidelines, policies and processes with management annually, offering enhancements to current strategies based on market and peer research
- Assist with other corporate projects as needed.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, real estate, economics, or related field; advanced degree a plus
- 5+ years’ experience in commercial real estate sustainability preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong understanding of financial terms and principles, with ability to conduct basic financial analysis
- Knowledge of real estate industry is a plus
- Ability to work independently with aptitude to develop and implement strategy, with ability to handle projects from start to finish
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) skills are required
- Demonstrates sound judgment, ability to analyze and solve problems involving multiple factors in various situations
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Proficient with all Microsoft applications
EastGroup Properties recognizes the value of benefits to employees and their families. The Company aims to support our employees and their families by offering a comprehensive and competitive benefits program. For all full-time employees, EastGroup covers the cost of employee only medical insurance at 100% of the cost. Dependents can be added at the employee’s expense. Additionally, EastGroup provides group term life insurance, short term and long term disability coverage for employees at no cost. Dental, vision, FSA and other supplemental insurance options are also available to employees.
EastGroup also recognizes the importance of saving for retirement and offers a 401(k) retirement savings plan with an employer match of 50% up to 10% of compensation. The company also provides a discretionary 401(k) bonus in addition to the employer match.
Other employee benefits include paid time off, athletic club reimbursements, cell phone reimbursement, community service opportunities, and flexible work schedules.