VP, Legal Counsel – Ridgeland, MS
The Vice President, Legal Counsel will be responsible for the Company’s legal matters related to its real estate operations and its status as a publicly-traded real estate investment trust (“REIT”) and for the Company’s risk management program. The position will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
Summary of Job Duties
· Legal Duties
- Responsible for the general management of legal matters for the
- Work with external legal counsel and field teams on leases and real estate transactions as needed.
- Work with external legal counsel and corporate accounting team on term loan, senior note and other debt agreements.
- Act as liaison with the Company’s external legal counsel and assist in procuring regional external legal counsel in new markets, as needed.
- Review and prepare relevant legal sections of Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filings, including 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, Annual Report, Proxy and other required
- Prepare and file Section 16 stock ownership filings for the Company’s directors and
- Coordinate the S-3 Shelf Registration Statement process and the At-the-Market (“ATM”) Common Stock Offering Prospectus process every three years, or more often as
- Identify corporate governance best practices and work with management and the Board of Directors to implement appropriate policies and practices.
- Serve as Assistant Secretary to the Company’s Board of
- Ensure the Board and management maintain compliance with annual reviews of committee charters, corporate governance guidelines, the Code of Ethics and Business Conduct, the Employee Handbook, various human resources policies, and other governing documents.
- Work with the Corporate Administrator to ensure the Annual Shareholder Meeting is scheduled and handled appropriately in conjunction with the Annual Report and proxy
- Monitor corporate requirements, such as shareholder demand letters, shareholder ownership waivers, corporate annual reports and business licenses, to ensure timely and accurate reporting and compliance.
- Ensure the Company complies with all applicable laws, regulations and
- Monitor related party
- Oversee pending
- Review corporate contracts, such as office leases, professional service firms agreements, equipment and software agreements, and other corporate-related items.
- Assist with the new director onboarding
- Serve as a member of the Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”)
- Manage and ensure compliance with the Company’s Document Retention
· Risk Management Duties
- Responsible for directing and coordinating the Company’s Enterprise Risk Management
- Establish a comprehensive risk management program for the Company, identifying risks and ensuring proper risk mitigation policies, programs and best practices are in place.
- Manage all aspects of various insurance programs, both corporate and property policies including property & casualty, workers compensation, general liability, employment practices liability, directors and officers, cybersecurity, and any other policies deemed in the best interest of the Company.
- Work with the Chief Financial Officer to procure the Company’s insurance coverages and maintain insurance broker relationships, making certain that the highest level of service is being provided.
- Remain current with insurance market trends to ensure awareness of available coverages, changes in insurance law, and major legal Make recommendations for changes or additional coverages to senior management, as needed.
- Act as supervisor to the Corporate
- Oversee the insurance claims process. Work closely and collaboratively with the Corporate Administrator and asset and property management teams regarding claims, acting as a liaison between the Company and insurance company by managing the claim process from start to finish. Assist with investigations and coordinate supporting documentation, as necessary.
- Coordinate, as necessary, with outside counsel on claims litigation. Function as primary liaison between all internal stakeholders, outside counsel and insurance adjusters during mediations, litigation, or settlement negotiations.
- Conduct annual risk assessments, including analysis of all incidents and claims to identify loss trends, root causes and training opportunities.
- Collect, analyze, and organize data for insurance program submissions and lead insurance program renewals. Provide summary report and recommendations to senior management ahead of renewal dates.
- Monitor appropriate Company insurance requirements for contractors and tenants. Ensure all requirements are collected and approve vendors as needed in MyCOI.
- Monitor electronic storage of insurance requirements (MyCOI) and evaluate software vendors as needed to meet Company standards and needs.
- Coordinate with development accounting team for construction related policy procurement and tracking of third-party policies, including policy schedules and
- Formulate budgets, insurance estimates, premium allocations, and management reports as needed.
- Develop and lead educational sessions to promote best risk and insurance practices across the Company as needed.
- In collaboration with the Chief Information Officer and other appropriate members of management, create process documentation for disaster preparedness and cyber/IT/fraud incidents. In the case of a natural disaster or cyber/IT/fraud incident, coordinate the Company’s response in collaboration with appropriate members of
Education & Experience
- Juris doctor and barred and in good standing in a state appropriate for working on matters for the
- Minimum of eight years of experience in a legal role, preferably with public REIT and risk management experience.
- Certified Risk Manager (CRM) or Associate in Risk Management (ARM) designation
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the real estate industry, including legal aspects of real estate operations, transactions, leases and other business matters.
- Thorough knowledge of REIT and public company compliance and disclosure
- Strong understanding of a comprehensive risk management program, including enterprise risk management and insurance Experience procuring insurance coverage and overseeing the insurance claims process is desired.
- Possess strong leadership characteristics while maintaining a consistently positive and professional demeanor.
- Excellent analytical ability and organizational, negotiation, and oral and written communication
- Ability to work independently with aptitude to develop and implement strategy, with ability to manage projects from start to finish.
- Display initiative and decision-making abilities, in order to advance the strategy of the organization and drive continuous progressive change.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and ability to analyze and solve
- Proficient with all Microsoft